Glounthane Utd 1-2 Albion (aet)

De Courcey Albion marched into the AOH Cup Round 3 after a staggered 2-1 win over Glounthane at Glenmore Park today. Albion had to fight conditions as the ground was in a pretty bad way causing first touch and passing to be pretty wayward. Glounthane started brightly moving well in midfield but creating very little. Albion started to dominate more as the half went on but didn’t create much themselves. Half Time 0-0.

The second half started well as Tim Harrington broke free and put Albion 1 up after toe poking past the keeper. But immediately Glounthane equalised after a scrappy clearance fell to their midfielder who was lucky to get a deflection to go past Walsh in goal. The big talking point will be when Tim Harrington went past the keeper and had an open goal but just before he had time to kick the ball he was taken clean out of it. The ref produced a yellow for the foul. John Hipwell was putting in another solid performance in centre mid and started to control the game. JP Hayes & James O’Driscoll were working well down the left and Conan Dillon won everything in the air. Both teams piled on the pressure but the game ended 1-1 and went to extra time.

Albion were unlucky not make it 2-1 early in extra time though Glounthane will say the same about themselves. John Duggan was introduced in the 2nd half of extra time and within 8 minutes of making his debut for the season he scored the winner anfter it looked like the ball had gone too wide outside the box he turned on the half volley and lobbed the keeper for a peach of a goal. Albion saw out the game though Walsh was forced into a good save right at the death from a glancing Glounthane header.

Team: M Walsh, J MacNamara, J O’Driscoll, G O’Connell, C O’Donovan, JP Hayes, R O’Donovan(N Twomey ’60), J Hipwell, C Dillon, T Harrington(J O’Riordan ‘108), M El-sahen(J Duggan ‘102).

Subs not used: D Daly, K O’Neill.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *