Greenwood B 1-3 Albion

De Courcey Albion picked up a well deserved 3 points yesterday in a scrappy affair at Clashduv Road in Togher. Albion started the game with a 4-4-2 formation with all intention of attacking the game. Missing 4 regular starting players, they had a much changed back 4 for the game who made little error through the first half and kept the attackers quiet. Noel Twomey had a goal ruled offside after clever play from JP Hayes who dragged 2 midfielders away from James O’Driscoll who then played the ball through for Twomey who then did some great footwork with the ball ending up in the goal. It was tough to take for Albion after such hard work but they continued to press with Shane Horan pulling the strings in midfield using the ball wisely and allowing O’Driscoll to roam forwards with Rob Daly & John Hipwell. This paid off on 30 minutes as O’Driscoll shouted for the ball from Hayes who played an inch perfect pass through to the Garrettstown man who then turned and from outside the area placed the ball into the top left to put the visitors 1-0 at half time.

Jason O’Riordan and Jody MacNamara were holding any threat from the wingers off well at right and left full from the start of the 2nd, but after 5 minutes of pressure from the home team Albion soon found themselves back on top. Declan Murray, making his 4th appearance as make shift keeper due to Michael Walsh’s injury, lofted a huge kick out down field which found Rob Daly. Daly latched onto it with a perfect first touch and took it past the last defender, rounded the keeper, then rounded the defender who had caught up with play and by the time Daly rounded the defender the keeper had once again found his feet but it was in vain as Daly once again rounded him to make it 2-0 with an exceptional solo effort from the forward who brought his league tally to 9 for the season.

Shane Horan was to go off with 25 minutes left due to an achillies problem, leaving Albion to re-shuffle by moving John Hipwell back to midfield and Martin Ryan to come on up front next to Rob Daly. 5 minutes later Ryan fed JP Hayes who crossed the ball, the defender attempted a header which went skywards and on the way back down was volleyed to perfection by James O’Driscoll to make it 3-0 to the visitors. The game started getting physical with a few yellow cards being shown. With 90 mins gone and 1 min to play Albion needlessly conceded a free kick on the edge of the area. The ball was swung in and the striker found himself free to tap in a goal to deny Albion an away clean sheet.

Another league win for the Courcey side who put in another spirited display to add another win in the league.

Team: Declan Murray (GK), Jason O’Riordan (RB), Colum Walsh (CB), Colm O’Donovan (CB), Jody MacNamara (LB), JP Hayes (RW), James O’Driscoll (CM), Shane Horan (CM), Noel Twomey (LW), Rob Daly (F), John Hipwell (F).

Subs: Martin Ryan for Shane Horan 65′., Kevin O’Neill, Conor Hurley.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *